Mum's Rock Cakes
Updated: Apr 19
As I mentioned in my first blog, these are a home favourite that my mum always makes for my dad! The recipe is really simple and easy and doesn't take too long to bake either which means you don't need to wait too long to eat them.. the best kind of recipe!
You will need:
225g self-raising flour
2 teaspoons mixed spice
75g demerara sugar
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons milk
Makes 8 rock cakes
1) Preheat the oven to 190°c/170°c Fan/Gas mark 5 and grease or line 1 large baking tray (or two small trays!)
2) Sift the flour and mixed spice into a bowl, then add the butter and rub between your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. I have a Kenwood mixer so you can also use the K beater for this - but be careful not to over-mix it as it can become doughy quite quickly!
3) Stir in the sugar and fruit and then create a well in the centre and pour in the egg and milk. Mix this with a spoon to until completely combined.
4) Spoon the mixture onto your baking tray and flatten down slightly with the back of a spoon. I have large baking trays so I have only lined one - make sure you leave enough space between each one as they will spread slightly!
Pop in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
5) Once baked, leave to cool for around 15 minutes on the baking tray and then you can move them to a wire rack to cool completely, or if you really can't wait these are also amazing warm out of the oven.
6) Tuck in with a nice cup of tea!
Let me know how you get on! Hope you love them as much as we do!